It’s Autumn and Halloween is just around the corner, what better way to include your little one in the celebrations than with this healthy sweet potato & carrot soup!
Charlotte Stirling Reed, Specialist in infant and child nutrition explains why soups can be ideal weaning meals;
“ A great idea, especially in the colder months, is to pack plenty of veggies into soups and offer these to your little ones on a regular basis. Soups are great as they are easy and inexpensive to make, can include pretty much any vegetables and children tend to enjoy them too.”
Charlotte adds “These soups can be thinned or bulked out with extra veggies to make it the right texture for your baby. Adding milk and yogurt to get the consistency (and temperature) right can really help too and this also boosts the soups’ nutrient content at the same time.
SWEET POTATO & CARROT SOUP
• 25g unsalted butter or vegetable oil
• I small onion chopped finely
• Optional – ½ teaspoon of mild curry powder to your taste
• 1 medium sweet potato peeled and chopped into small pieces (can be replaced with pumpkin or squash)
• 3 carrots peeled and sliced
• 250ml of boiled water or ½ low salt stock cube made up as per pack instructions with 250ml of water – further water or milk may be added to ‘thin’ the soup to your required consistency
• Add a dash of milk or a dollop of natural yogurt to thin the soup or to serve
1. Melt the butter or heat the oil in a pan
2. Add chopped onion and cook till softened (add mild curry powder if using)
3. Add chopped sweet potato, carrots and stock / boiled water and cook for 10-15 minutes until vegetables have softened
4. Leave to cool slightly, then blend till smooth and add any further water or milk to desired consistency
5. Serve warm in a Doidy Cup or Doidy Bowl with a dash of milk or a dollop of natural yoghurt stirred in to help cool and thicken
• Sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene (vitamin A) plus they contain vitamin C, calcium and iron.
• Carrots are an excellent source of beta carotene which is converted to vitamin A in our bodies. Carrots also provide vitamin K which helps in the maintenance of normal bones and contributes to normal blood clotting.
Doidy Cups can be bought from the following stockists; JoJoMamanBebe, John Lewis & Partners, Sainsbury’s and Ocado. Find them in independent baby product retailers or on Amazon.
Visit our webshop https://www.bickiepegs.com/product/doidy-cup/